Chennai, Sep 28 (UNI) The Chennai Corporation today completed 320 years of its existence.
In the early 17th Century, Chennai was called Madurasenapattinam in memory of the ruler Madurai Senan, who lived in the place where the Fort St George was built later on.
In those days, the fledgling town was known only for commercial trade, mostly carried out by the British. The long coastline was gifted to the British by local chieftain Venkata Nayakar, son of erstwhile ruler Chennappa Nayakar.
The Marina beach, which was then called as 'Chennai Kuppam' got itself changed to Chennapattanam after the East India Company took control over the coastline.
When Eligu Yale was the Governor General of Colonial India, the civic body was formed with its imposing structure to Govern Chennapattanam in 1688, marking Chennai as the first city to get a Corporation of its own. Nathaniel Hickenson was appointed as the first Mayor of Chennai Corporation.
In 1948 the Corporation had just 50 divisions and 81 Councillors were elected to represent their views in the Council. However, in 1959, the division strength was increased to 100.
The term of the Mayor was extended to five years in 1996 and in that year, Mr Stalin was elected to the coveted post of City Mayor.
During his tenure as Mayor till 2001, 76 bridges were constructed and Corporation schools got new buildings, computer and research.
MORE UNI GV KVV SY GC1623