Lahore, Sept 27 : A former PCB chief has said that because of the prevailing "security scenario" in Pakistan, he had doubts over India visiting the country, or the delayed ICC Champions Trophy being played here next year.
Tauqir Zia., the ex-PCB chief, said he was sure India would pull out of the tour scheduled for next year, especially after the recent powerful bomb blast at a five-star hotel triggered by a truck-load of explosives which left nearly 60 people dead and hundreds injured.
"I don't think India will come because the security conditions are not good for international cricket in Pakistan. It will be a big setback for Pakistan cricket, but they should be prepared for this," the Daily Times quoted Tauqir Zia as saying in a TV interview.
As per the schedule, India will tour Pakistan from January 4 for three Tests and five one-day internationals.
The Indo-Pak series itinerary for the India tour was finalised before the blast at the Marriott, where teams normally stay during international matches. The Indian team stayed at the same hotel during its previous visit to Pakistan in 2004. Top international teams have avoided touring Pakistan this year with Australia postponing their scheduled visit until 2009.
Zia had resigned from the Board in 2003 following a controversy over awarding YV coverage rights to Dubai-based private channel GEO and ignoring the PTV, thereby triggering a row between the two channels.
Tauqir also said he doubts that Pakistan would host the already postponed Champions Trophy next year. "What is there to talk about the Champions Trophy? I doubt even India will come," he said.
Rawalpindi - which was ruled out as a Champions Trophy venue this year for security reasons - has been named as the host of one of the Tests and a one-day international against India.
Earlier, last month, the ICC had postponed the biennial Champions Trophy until September-October 2009 after England, New Zealand, South Africa and defending champion Australia refused to participate due to security concerns.