Rising price of coking coal main hurdle in steel production: Rastogi

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bokaro, Sep 19 (UNI) Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) secretary Pramod Rastogi has contended that rising prices of coking coal was the main hurdle in steel production.

Talking to reporters here last evening, Mr Rastogi said the price of coking coal rose to USD 300 per tonne from USD 90 in the last two months.

Mr Rastogi said despite these hurdles the company was trying to enhance its production to about 120 million tonnes from existing 55 million tonnes in next three years.

Speaking about the requirement of coking coal for the company Mr Rastogi said 30 per cent of the requirement was fulfilled by the country's resources and for the remaining 70 per cent the company depends on oher countries like Australia, China and New Zealand.

Refering to Asia's largest iron ore reserve - Chiria mines - he said it would remain SAIL's property.

''The company would soon hold a meeting with the Centre as well as state government to sort out the matter,'' he added.

UNI XC-AM DPM DB1716

Please Wait while comments are loading...