London, Sep 16 : A suspected Turkish Kebab shop owner has been arrested under the Prevention of Terrorism Act in Kent.
The suspect was arrested on Monday in a raid on an executive home in a village in Kent. The man, believed to be in his 40s, was held after police surrounded the 325,000 pound property on a new-build estate in Hawkinge, near Folkestone.
Kent police said he was detained on suspicion of "being engaged in the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism," The Independent reported.
Reports suggested that the three-bedroom, semi-detached house - one of only five in the cul-de-sac - was occupied by two couples, believed to be two brothers and their wives and four children aged nine to 18.
Cyril Halpenny, a neighbour, said he thought the suspect was a Turkish kebab shop owner, and added: "They seemed a quiet family. I only knew them to say hello to, to pass the time of day."
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she believed three generations of the same family lived in the house.
She said: "I only know them to say hello to, but all the kids in the street play together. We've only lived here two years, and they've been here longer than that."
Kent Police said there was no suggestion the arrest was linked to recent investigations in the north of England into an alleged threat to kill Prime Minister Gordon Brown, nor any link to last week's Channel Tunnel fire.