New Delhi, Sep 14: A day after five blasts rocked the capital that took 30 lives, police on Sunday, Sep 14 claimed to have gathered 'crucial clues' that would help them crack the case 'at the earliest'.
The initial probe into the Delhi blasts of Saturday indicates a pattern similar to Ahmedabad, Jaipur and Surat blasts. One of the terrorists suspected to be involved in the attacks on the busy marketplaces of Delhi is Abdul Suban Qureshi alias Tauqir, a qualified software engineer. Police in four states – Delhi, UP, Rajasthan and Gujarat - are on the lookout for him. Tauqir is alleged to have broken into unsecured wi-fi accounts in Mumbai to send e-mails on behalf of the Indian Mujahideen minutes before Delhi and Ahmedabad serial blasts. He is also suspected to have sent mails after blasts in Jaipur and UP. Police sources say Qureshi also taught his SIMI colleagues techniques of bomb making. He is also alleged to have assembled bombs on July 22 and July 23 at Baroda.
Tauqir is said to have earlier worked with three software companies, including a direct sales agency of a major. His employers say Tauqir was technically very sound. He had resigned from his last job allegedly expressing his intention to concentrate on 'religious activities.' Tauqir has been absconding from his Mira Road residence in Mumbai since 2001. Meanwhile, Delhi police are trying to prepare a sketch of the man suspected to be one of the bombers on the basis of details given by a balloon seller in Connaught Place. An auto driver is also said to have identified the passengers who hired his auto just before the blast at Gaffar market.
Jt Commissioner (Special Cell) Karnal Singh whose team was heading the investigation, said though nothing could be disclosed as of now as investigations were still on even as Commissioner Y S Dadwal claimed that vital clues had been found that could lead to the suspects. However, official sources said that eight people have been detained so far in connection with the blasts while declining to say any further. Meanwhile, Lt Governor Tejender Khanna went into a huddle with senior police officials, including Police Commissioner Dadwal, at the police headquarters here to review the investigations and security steps in the capital. The meet has been on for more than an hour, said a PHQ source.
In another development, the 12-year-old boy Rahul who yesterday said that he had seen two men in black clothes plant the bomb in a dustbin, was this morning brought to the police headquarters for further questioning.
A senior police official said his account would be corroborated with the evidence the police had gathered so far.''His details could also be used in preparing the sketch of suspects.'' Adding to the 'official death toll' of 20 in yesterday's serial blasts, a 15-year-old girl Puja died this morning at the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital here taking the figure of those dead so far to 21.
Puja was a resident of Karol Bagh, said hospital sources.
On the other hand, life in Karol Bagh was returning to normal with shops opening barely metres away from the blast site, revealing the never-say-die spirit of Delhiites.
Summing up the situation Sajjan Kumar, owner of a cloth store in Karol Bagh, said, ''Saheb, zindagi kaise ruk sakti hai bhala (how can life stop after all)?''