New Delhi, Sept 14 : The death toll from the series of five bomb blasts that rocked market places on Saturday evening has climbed up to 30.
Around 125 people were injured in the blasts that took place in New Delhi's prime market places like Karol Bagh's Gaffar market, Connaught Place, Greater Kailash-I's M-Block market and Barakhamba Road in a span of 40-50 minutes.
Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil announced an ex-gratia of Rs eight lakh to the next of the kin of those killed and Rs 50,000 as compensation to the injured.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit announced a compensation of five lakh rupees for the family of the deceased and 50,000 rupees for the injured after an emergency meeting of the State Cabinet last night.
Meanwhile, President Pratibha Patil has wished speedy recovery to the injured and appealed to the people of Delhi to maintain peace and calm in the face of this adversity.
Vice-President Hamid Ansari expressed shock that the blasts have caused fatalities and casualties among innocent people. He said that such dastardly acts of violence were intended to disturb peace and harmony and should be thwarted.
The first blast took place at Ghaffar market at 6.10 p.m. The explosive was kept near a car. Immediately after that, two bombs triggered at Connaught Place while another explosion rocked M-Block market in Greater Kailash-I. The bombs were hidden in dustbins.
Meanwhile, Indian Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the bomb blasts. In an email to media organisations, the terror outfit that had claimed responsibility for the July 26 Ahmedabad blasts, said that it had carried out the serial blasts in Delhi. It threatened that there would be nine blasts in all.
Sarojini Nagar market, scene of the pre-Diwali eve blasts in 2005, in which more than 60 people were killed, has been evacuated.
Preliminary examination of the blast site said that low intensity ammonium nitrate tied to integrated circuit had been used in almost all the serial blasts. Timer devices were used in all the blasts.