Karnataka to set up Thermal Power Plant in Chhattisgarh

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Raipur, Sept 7 (UNI) Karnataka will become the first state to build a thermal power plant in the mineral rich Chhattisgarh when the two BJP-ruled governments sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a 1200 MW for Mega Thermal Plant here tomorrow.

Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa and Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh will sign the MoU for the project to be executed by the Karnataka Power Corporation.

Top KPC official said the civil work will begin in six months and the project will be completed within a time frame of 48 months.

Later, the state would also set up another plant of 800 MW capacity.

Karnataka is the first state to set up such a plant in Chhattisgarh. Earlier, Gujarat and Delhi had approached the state with similar proposals but it did not come through.

The Rs 6,000 crore plant will come up about 25 km from Champa and 170 km from Raipur. The coal will be supplied to the plant from Man Raigarh pit belonging to South East Coal Ltd. The plant would need 7.22 million tones of coal per annum. The 1.9 tmc of water per year needed for the project would be lifted from Mahanadi, eight km from the plant.

Power will be available to the state at a cost of Rs 2.44 per unit as against Rs 3.89 per unit of power if the power plant is built within the state.

Karnataka will get 90 per cent of the power produced from this plant while Chhttisgarh would get the remaining 10 per cent.

The deal was clinched when Mr Raman Singh was in the city last month to undergo nature cure treatment on the outskirts of the city.

UNI RS MSP VV AK UCS2110

Please Wait while comments are loading...