Karnataka to set up Thermal Power Plant in Chattisgarh

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Raipur, Sept 7 (UNI) Karnataka will become the first state to build a thermal power plant in the mineral rich Chattisgarh when the two BJP ruled government sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a 1200 MW for Mega Thermal Plant here tomorrow.

Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa and Chattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh would sign the MoU for the for the project to be executed by the Karnataka Power Corporation.

Top KPC official said that civil work would begin in six month and project would be completed in a time frame of 48 months. Later the state would also set up another plant of 800 MW capacity.

Karnataka is a first state to set up such a plant in Chattisgarh.

Earlier, Gujarat and Delhi had approached the State with similar proposals but it did not come through.

The Rs 6000 crore plant would come up about 25 km from Champa and 170 km from Raipur. The coal would be supplied to the plant from Man Raigarh pit belonging to South East Coal Ltd. The plant would need 7.22 million tones of coal per annum. The 1.9 tmc of water per year needed for the project would be lifted from Mahanadi which would be eight km away from the plant.

The power would be available to the state at a cost of Rs 2.44 per unit. This is in comparison to Rs 3.89 per unit of power if the power plant is built within the state.

Karnataka would get 90 per cent of the power produced from this plant while Chattisgarh would get the remaining 10 per cent.

The deal was clinched when Mr Singh was in the city last month to undergo nature cure treatment on the outskirts of the city.

UNI RS MSP GM2037

Please Wait while comments are loading...