Melbourne, Sept 4 : A primary school girl in Australia was forced to undress and sexually threatened by two men during a class sleepover, earlier this year.
The incident came into light after the teachers raised an alarm about school safety.
According to one of the teachers, two men were waiting in the toilets when the girl got up during the sleepover and threatened her to perform an act of indecency. They also took photos of her during her ordeal.
South Australia's Acting Education Minister Jay Weatherill has ordered a review of school supervision guidelines after being alerted by The Advertiser.
He said that the incident was "disturbing".
"The Education Department's extensive guidelines for camps, excursions and sleepovers were updated only last year and set out stringent requirements for safety and supervision of students," News.com.au quoted him, as saying in an emailed statement.
"In light of this recent incident, however, our School Care Centre (an Education Department-SA Police agency) will revisit these to ensure they are adequate and understood by all principals," he added.
Both the school and police confirmed that the incident had occurred during a class sleepover.
A teacher said the incident raised the question of "how safe are our schools?"
"During the night-time sleepover, a girl went to go to the toilets and there were two men waiting for her in the toilets and they made her undress and took photos of her," the teacher said.
"When you hear things like this, about what's going on in public schools, you do think, how safe are they really?" teacher added.
"There should have been a public warning issued and a recommendation to all schools about how to prevent such incidents," said Opposition education spokesman David Pisoni.