Mumbai, Aug 28 (UNI) After the Maharashtra government undertook the Mahatma Gandhi Dispute Free Village Campaign last year, as many as 2,309 villages had become dispute free and it was expected that 70 per cent of the villages would be dispute free in future, said Deputy Chief Minister and Home Minister R R Patil.
He made this observation during an interview to All India Radio (AIR), which was broadcast last night.
He said during the campaign, as many as 12 lakh disputes were registered, of which 2.64 lakh disputes were settled and 20 per cent of pending cases were withdrawn.
He said for the state to become prosperous, it was necessary that maximum number of villages should be dispute free.
To a question, he said in some districts, Guardian Ministers, police officers, revenue officers and village folks worked with zeal. Effectively, district like Raigad is in the forefront. Similar enthusiastic work is underway in districts like Latur, Satara and Sangli. This year, the government has decided to award Rs 48 crore to the village which becomes dispute-free. That amount will be utilised for specific works in the village.
Asked whether the campaign had reduced stress on administrative machinery, the Minister replied that the number of first information reports (FIRs) registered at police stations had reduced. Also, there was reduction in the number of cases filed in courts. Many of the disputes were resolved through Loknyayalaya.
Mr Patil said he had felicitated the villagers and administrative staff of the villages for bagging awards worth Rs 12 lakh.
He appealed to everyone to make their villages dispute free by taking advantage of the newly-started campaign.
UNI JM SSS NP1726