Chakka Jam in Jammu; Curfew in Kashmir

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Jammu/Kashmir, Aug 25: After a day of relative peace in Jammu on Sunday, Aug 24 , Amarnath Yatra Sangarsh Samiti has called for a 'Chakka jam' on Monday, Aug 25. It has also extended the bandh call till August 31 after talks between the samiti and a panel appointed by the Governor ended inconclusively but on a hopeful note after a new compromise formula.

There is no curfew in Jammu except for places like Poonch. Further talks on the new formula proposing the temporary transfer of land every year during the Amarnath yatra are scheduled for August 26.

Meanwhile curfew continue in the Kashmir Valley for the second day on Monday, Aug 25. As a precautionary measure the authorities have arrested the top separatist leaders, including Sayed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, as these leades have planned to organise a march to Lal Chaowk.

The curfew which was imposed in all the 10 districts of the Kashmir Valley in the wee hours of of Sunday, Aug 24 continued with police making announcement through mobile public address system asking the residents not to go out of their houses.

Police accompanied by central para-military forces arrested fire-brand Jamaat-e-Islamia leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq from their residences on Sunday, Aug 24 night. Both the leaders were later takeb to an unknown destination.

The two were arrested under section 107 of Ranbir Penal Code under which any person can be placed under arrest who instigates a crowd which may lead to law and order problem.

The separatist leaders have planned a rally at Lal Chaowk to protest against what they called the 'failure' of the Centre to resolve the Kashmir issue.

Police raided several places through the night and picked up 10 other second rank separatist leaders. Army was assisting state police in other districts barring Srinagar to maintain law and order and prevent any defiance of the curfew.

One person was killed and dozens injured when security forces opened fire and lobbed tear gas shells on Sunday, Aug 24 after protesters tried to defy the curfew at several places in the Valley.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...