20 patients could go blind, says Minister

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Tiruchirapalli, Aug 25 (UNI) Nine of the 29 patients admitted to the Joseph Eye Hospital here with complaints of blurred vision after undergoing cataract surgeries at the institution's satellite hospital at Perambalur last month, had chances of regaining their vision State Health Minister M R K Panneerselvam today said.

Addressing the media after calling on the affected persons at the hospital along with Transport Minister K N Nehru, Mr Panneerselvam said the RL solution used after the surgery was sent for clinical analysis.

He said the hospital authorities had violated several norms, including not obtaining the district collector's permission to conduct the eye camp.

They performed the surgeries at the Perambalur hospital where there were no adequate facility for performing such procedures. The experts team, conducting a detailed enquiry into the incident, would bring out all such violations.

The Minister said he would brief Chief Minister M Karunanidhi who would announce suitable compensation.

As many as 66 persons, identified at a special eye camp at Kaduvanur Village in Villupuram District on July 28, underwent surgery in the satellite hospital at Perambalur the next day.

Eight of them were discharged a day after the surgery without any problems while the others were sent home a few days later.

Over 50 returned with complaints of severe pain, vomiting and blurred vision during review. Twenty-nine of the patients, including 14 women, were referred to the base hospital here.

Meanwhile, a section of the people who underwent similar surgeries in the same hospital since last year and experienced same problems submitted a petition to Perambalur District Collector with a plea to ensure adequate medical attention to regain their vision.

UNI RV GM RSA ND1240

Please Wait while comments are loading...