Kannur, Aug 20: The Thalassery Fort, a garrison of the British in Malabar region, situated about 22 km from here in this district completed 300 years on Wednesday, Aug 20.
After the completion of in 1708 work the historical monument, it was handed over to the East India Company on August 20, 1708 as per the official record of the Tourism Department. The East India Company transferred their head office from Kozhikode to Thalassery and centralised their works from here.
In 1780, the fort was captured by the Mysore military, led by Sardhar Khan, and controlled for 18 months. Mysore force had captured the Dharmadom area from the British and attacked the nearby areas of Melur and Nettur.
However, in 1782, a large number of British force came from Mumbai and defeated the Mysore force and imprisoned 1,200 Mysore military personnel, including Sardhar Khan.
Later, Sardhar Khan committed suicide inside the fort.
In 1965, British traders started their business from Thalassery.
However, they opened their commercial centre there after four years only.
Kolathiri Rajavamsham Vadakelamkkur Thampuran had given sanction to East India Company to construct the fort to fight against Pandikasala, led by Kurungoth Nair. This decision followed an agreement that the Company would pay tax to Tampuran for exporting pepper from Kerala.
After Independence, many government offices were functioning inside the fort. The fort was now managed by Archeology department.
Tourism Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishanan was showing keen interest to develop the place as an important tourist destination, which was in his constituency.