80% drugs and substitute for 20% brands available in Kashmir

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Srinagar, Aug 18 (UNI) The divisional administration in Kashmir today claimed that 80 per cent drugs were available putting rest to sumours that the valley was rusning short of medicines.

However, it said that due to strikes and prevailing situation, the distribution of the medicines, by wholesalers to the retailers, had been hampered.

An action meanwhile, has been initiated against a dealer for misleading the people that two brands of medicines were not unavailable.

An official spokesman said that a team was constituted by Divisional Commissioner, under Deputy Controller Drug and Food Organisation, to see the availability of medicines in the market in the valley.

During inspection of various drugs sale establishments in city the team found that 80 percent of drugs were available while the other 20 per cent are present in substitute brands in the market.

The manufacturers and distributors of the drugs whose substitutes were available have been asked to immediately rush their supplies to Kashmir. These include M/s Intas, M/S Glenmark Pharmaceutical and M/S Wockhardt-Merind Pharma.

The team also inspected the shop of M/S World Line Medicines at Khayam Chowk who had alleged that supplies of Aciloc and Paracetamol medicines were not available.

The team found sufficient quantity of Aciloc and Paracetamol medicines in the stock.

Disciplinary action has been initiated against the proprietor of the medical shop for misleading the public.

Other agencies also informed the team that they have adequate stocks of Insulin available and huge quantities have been distributed to the stockists and retailers.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Controller Drug and Food Organisation, Kashmir had a meeting with Srinagar Chemists and Distributors Association who assured that normal supplies shall be ensured to all retail outlets.

The Association said due to the prevailing hartals and strikes, the distribution of the medicines, by wholesalers to the retailers, had been hampered.

However, it said that in case of shortage the people have been advised to contact them.

The Srinagar Chemists and Distributors Association has appealed to people not to panic regarding the supply position of medicines and in case of emergency, asked to contact them.

UNI BAS QAB SB RK1336

Please Wait while comments are loading...