Melbourne, Aug 15 : Christian Bale, star of the new Batman film The Dark Knight, will not face charges relating to an alleged assault on his mother and sister, according to British prosecutors.
The 34-year-old actor was arrested last month, the day before appearing at the film's West End premiere, over an alleged assault in his suite at London's plush Dorchester Hotel.
However, Britain's Crown Prosecution Service ordered police not to take any further action, saying there was insufficient evidence to make a conviction realistic.
"Whilst the CPS treats all incidents which take place in a domestic context seriously, it is important that the views of complainants are also taken into account when making decisions in such case," News.com.au quoted a spokesman for CPS, as saying.
"Taking all the factors into consideration, the decision has been taken that there is insufficient evidence to afford a realistic prospect of conviction, and accordingly the police have been advised that no further action should be taken against Mr. Bale," he added.
Bale, who denies the allegation, said through his spokeswoman, Jennifer Allen, that he was relieved the issue had been settled.
The actor 'hopes to put the matter firmly behind him' and will be providing no further comment, Allen said in a statement released by Bale's lawyers.