Defence minister orders probe into troop misconduct in Congo

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Aug 13 (UNI) Defence Minister A K Antony today ordered an investigation into the alleged charges of sexual exploitation and child abuse by members of the Indian peace keeping force in Congo.

The probe into the allegation was ordered after UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon demanded severe 'disciplinary action' against those charged in a UN probe of sexuall exploitation of local women and children in Congo.

In his order the Defence Minister said, ''I would like that the allegations are promptly and thoroughly investigated in a time-bound manner.'' In its findings, the UN report, prepared by its Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), said it had 'prima-facie evidence' against Indian peace-keepers previously assigned to one of the units with the UN mission in Congo.

The troop was later withdrawn and sent back to India after the allegations surfaced through charges by a local non-governmental organisation in Congo.

UNI AN SP GC2044

Please Wait while comments are loading...