New Delhi, Aug 6 : Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor today ruled out sending troops to Afghanistan to take part in the operations led by the US-led coalition forces.
"India takes part only in UN approved/sanctioned military operations and the UN has not mandated this action in Afghanistan so there is no question of India participating in it," General Kapoor said.
Commenting on Afghan situation, he said: "Afghanistan is emerging as key on War on Terror, and added that the Taliban would not be a force to reckon with unless supported by outside forces financially and militarily."
"The blasts at Indian Embassy in Kabul shows that unless and until support to Taliban stops from outside the US-led coalition forces are going to stay there for longer period," General Kappor added.
He said that Indian has been providing a degree of development and medical aid to Afghanistan, which government will continue to provide in any form as it deems fit.
The Army Chief was reacting following the July 7 terror attack on the Indian Embassy in Kabul in which more than 51 people were killed. There had been talks of sending additional Indian security forces to Afghanistan to beef up security at the mission. By Praful Kumar Singh