Melbourne, Aug.6 : After refusing all along to make public its investigations into last year's bungled case against Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef, the Australian Federal Police on Wednesday said that it would provide an uncensored version of its submission to the public inquiry.
"The Australian Federal police (AFP) was in the process of compiling a public version of its submission, devoid of sensitive information supplied to the AFP by the London Metropolitan Police Service," a Clarke inquiry spokesman was quoted as saying by The Australian.
"My understanding is that they are trying to comply with (Judge) Clarke's request. They have said they are working on it but I have no idea on timing or anything like that," an AFP spokesperson was quoted, as saying.
The AFP had earlier on Tuesday declined to clarify contradictory remarks made by Commissioner Mick Keelty on Monday.
Keelty had said ASIO - which repeatedly advised that Haneef was not a threat - was not in possession of the same material as the AFP when it made its assessment. Moments later, Keelty said ASIO had "full access to the material the AFP has".
Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions and AFP are the only two agencies to refuse a request from Judge Clarke to provide a non-secret version of their submissions.
The federal police had originally supplied a censored version to retired judge John Clarke, who is heading the inquiry.
The AFP had received severe flak over its handling of the case as Haneef, 28, was kept in detention for three weeks following his arrest at Brisbane airport on July 2 last year in connection with the failed London bombing, only to be absolved later.
Keelty said on Monday the AFP wanted to release its submission but the sticking point was the UK material. He said authority to publish it rested with the British police.