Islamabad, Aug 2 : Pakistan has strongly rejected a report published by a US daily claiming that its intelligence agency ISI was behind July 7 suicide attack on Indian embassy in Kabul. Describing the report as "rubbish", Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmud Qureshi said that his country was too suffering from the menace of terrorism, and promised to cooperate with neighbouring countries to combat terror.
Earlier this week, the New York Times had reported that intercepted communications had provided clear evidence that the ISI was involved in the suicide attack on the Indian mission, which killed around 60 people.
"We are suffering, and this region is suffering, from this menace of extremism and terrorism," The News quoted Quereshi ass saying.
Similarly Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Sadiq rejected the report, saying: "It's rubbish. We totally deny it. This is a baseless allegation that the New York Times keeps on recycling using anonymous sources. These stories always die afterwards because there is no proof."
Information Minister Sherry Rehman said that any pro-militant elements in the ISI had already been weeded out. "There is no question of any purge in the ISI. The government has already stated that there are no links or evidence of ISI involvement in the Kabul bombing," Sherry said in a statement, and added: "It was in the past during Jihad (by Afghan fighters against the Red Army in the 1980s) that a few pro-Taliban elements had found their way in, and with the change in policy have been firmly rooted out."
Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director-General Maj-Gen Athar Abbas also said that the report was "malicious propaganda". "It is meant to defame ISI. This is a national institution which is vital for security. The ISI's role in fighting terrorism and extremism is exceptional," he added.