Directors of educational institutions condemn MNS attacks

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Pune, July 17 (UNI) In a show of solidarity, the Directors of various prominent educational institutions condemned the recent attack on their institutions by activists of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) and demanded intervention of the state government, through legislation to curb the recurrence of such incidents.

At a joint press conference here today, Founder Chairman Symbiosis, Dr S B Majumdar, Founder Managing Director MIT, Dr Viswanath Karad, Co- Director, Bharati Vidyapeeth, Biswajeet Kadam, Chairman Indira Edcational Group, Tarita Mahendale and representatives from D Y Patil and Sinhgad Group of Educational Institutions, saidthe recent attacks were unconstitutional, anti-national and anti-social in character.

''The manner in which the activists damaged property, shouted slogans and abuses, was uncultured and uncivilised. Our institutions are not liquor bars, neither dens of the underworld that they should be vandalised, this is also not Marathi culture'', Dr Viswanath Karad said.

''We would have appreciated if due notice would have been given and a dialogue initiated. People must understand that 80-85 per cent admissions are centralised. We do not have too much say even in the remaining 15 per cent, but what is important is that no Marathi student was unfairly treated and preferencial treatment given to outsiders and foreigners,'' he said.

Dr Karad said that such attacks create fear psychosis among parents and students and are also likely affect the livelihood of many people, who are working in the education sector.

A meeting will be held with State Technical and Higher Education Minister Dilip Walse-Patil on Saturday, to take appropriate action and a meeting is also being sought with Central HRD Minister Arjun Singh.

Veteran social activist Mohan Dharia also condemned the attacks and said that if MNS activists do not stop their activities, he will join forces to oppose the party president Raj Thackeray.

UNI DWN SR RR ND2018

Please Wait while comments are loading...