New Delhi, Jul 16 (UNI) The Delhi High Court today lashed out at the Delhi fire department saying four years have elapsed since it ordered the latter to take action against those builders who did not comply with the fire-safety norms, but no action has been taken so far.
A bench comprising Chief Justice A P Shah and Justice S Murlidhar directed the Delhi Fire Services Department to furnish an additional affidavit within six weeks, stating the action taken report (ATR) against those builders who have been found guilty for non-compliance of fire safety norms.
The bench asked the fire department, ''You have the statutory power to seize those buildings which were built not in accordance with fire-safety norms, then why are those buildings yet not closed.'' Pursuant to a newspaper report which said lot of buildings in the Capital do not meet the fire-safety requirements, the Delhi High Court had taken suo motu cognizance of the matter four years ago.
The court had ordered the fire department to look into the matter and take action against the violators.
The Court also directed the MCD, DDA, and other civic agencies to ascertain the heights of the buildings so that the violators should not escape the clutches of law.
The fire department told the court that they can only target those buildings which are above 15 meters.
UNI SNG BDP RAI1853