London, July 10 : Zoe Heller's 'Notes on a Scandal' is the book that most women would take along while soaking in the sun on a beach.
The eerie page-turner took top spot in a poll by online books retailer Play.com which wanted to find out what kind of books women look for while spending a day at the beach.
As it turned out, the 2,000 female customers polled showed that it's not trashy chick-lit that they're interested in but something more.
While 'Notes on a Scandal' topped the list, second place went to Khaled Hosseini's tear-jerking novel 'The Kite Runner'.
Paulo Coelo's spiritual bestseller 'The Alchemist' took third spot, followed by Marian Keyes novel 'The Charming Man' in fourth place.
The top five was rounded off by Lisa Jewel's '31 Dream St', winner of this year's comedy romance prize in the Chick Lit Awards.
The list for the top 10 Best Beachside Reads as per Play.com is:
1. Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller
2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini's
3. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelo
4. The Charming Man by Marian Keyes
5. 31 Dream St by Lisa Jewel
6. The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency
7. Family Album by Danielle Steel
8. Chocolat by Joanne Harris
9. Diary of A Call Girl by Belle de Jour
10. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding