Kabul braces for bloodier days ahead following devastating suicide attack

Subscribe to Oneindia News


Kabul, July 8 : Amid reports that more blasts like the one which took place on Sunday killing 41 persons in front of the Indian embassy in Kabul may be forthcoming, Afghan authorities have reportedly been put on high alert, and are on the lookout for suicide bombers in cars, burqas and other disguises.

People here say they are not safe as, according to them, insurgency continues to grow and there seems to be not end to it.

"No one is safe in Kabul. The insurgents seem to grow stronger by the day. I'm actually concerned that it's not going to end here," said Awad Salar, an employee of the post office across the street.

Salar had arrived on the scene moments after the explosion in front of the embassy.

According to The Washington Times, both US and Afghanistan intelligence reports have warned of more such attacks in the near future.

One US report dated July 5 said that Taliban insurgents were planning multiple attacks in Kabul, reflecting a similar assessment obtained in late June and previously reported by The Washington Times. "Two female suicide bombers wearing burqas planning an attack inside the city," said the security report outlining threats in Afghanistan.

It added: "The threat of a spectacular attack will remain for the coming weeks as the offensive gains momentum. The presence of large totals of insurgents in the provinces surrounding Kabul is a clear indication of insurgents' intent to suffocate Kabul."

According to media reports, Afghan officials accuse Pakistani intelligence operatives of involvement in the bombing, though no one has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.

"Whenever we do a suicide attack, we confirm it. The Taliban did not do this one," the report quoted Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid as saying.

ANI

Please Wait while comments are loading...