Dubai, Jul 7 (UNI) Pakistan's hope of holding the Champions Trophy received a setback, as the suicide blasts near the Lal Masjid in Islamabad have created a panic and fresh security concern among Australia, New Zealand and England players and the International Cricket Council (ICC) declaring that it would not compromise with the security of the teams.
The Champions Trophy is due from September 11 with matches to be held in Lahore, Karachi and Rawalpindi.
Eight teams- Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, England and the West Indies- will participate in the tournament.
In a hard hitting statement ICC chief executive officer Haroon Lorgat said ''The ICC will not compromise the safety and security of any individual at one of its tournaments and if it is not appropriate to play in any country then we will not do so.'' Lorgat said a security process had been agreed for the Champions Trophy.
''The process involved an exchange of information between the competing teams, the ICC and the security consultants,'' he said.
''Our security consultants have been working with the Pakistan authorities during the Asia Cup, assessing security, and will report back as soon as possible with their views,'' he added.
India, however, has suggested the postponement of the Champions Trophy, instead of shifting it from Pakistan.
UNI XC HSB RKM AS2015