Shillong, Jul 7 (UNI) The Meghalaya Progressive Alliance (MPA) government today reiterated that any decision on the MOUs signed between the government and private power developers would be taken keeping foremost the best interest of the state.
Soon after taking over the helm of affairs from the Congress, the United Democratic Party-led MPA government served non-operational notices to six private power developers, asking them not to develop the power projects signed with the previous government in the state, until further notices.
The Congress-led Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) government had signed a Memorandum of Agreement with Jaypee Group, Dharampal Satyapal Group, ETA Star Infrastructure Limited, Athena Project Private Limited, Seven Sisters Energy Limited and SEW Energy Limited under the Build-Own-Operate-Transfer (BOOT) system for 40 years.
The six companies would develop the Kynshi Stage-I, Kynshi Stage-II, Umngot, Leshka Stage-II, Umiew and Simsang Basin.
''The manner in which the deals were signed in haste had created doubts in people's mind,'' Minister in-charge of Power Conrad Sangma said after an inconclusive meeting with members of Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People (FKJGP).
The FKJGP and KSU are demanding the outright scrapping of the power deal.
''We want the shady deal to be scrapped for the interest of the state,'' FKJGP president Emlang Lyttan said.
In fact, the MPA government had constituted an official committee to study the details of the MOUs. The committee submitted its report to Chief Minister Donkupar Roy last week.
''The 160-page report has been circulated to all Cabinet ministers and the Cabinet would meet within 10-days to take a decision after studying the report,'' the power minister said.
Mr Sangma said any decision on the deals would be taken collectively and with consensus.
''The interest of the state and the people would be foremost in coming to a decision on the deals signed,'' he added.
UNI RRK DPM RN1512