Kerala teenager's body parts dug out from Goa

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Kasaragod, Jul 6: Kerala Crime Branch sleuths, who investigating the sensational Safiya murder case, on Sunday, July 6, recovered all her body parts, including skull, hands, leg, chest and hair and pieces of cloth from near a check dam at Molam, Ponda in Goa.

Crime Branch SP K P Philip, who is leading of the team, told UNI from Goa that the team had recovered the skeletal remains of the girl, except skull last night from Sangoda check dam on Saturday, July 5. The officials reached Goa on Friday, July 4, along with the prime accused in the sensational case, C K Hamsa, to recover the skeletal remains of Safiya, who was allegedly murdered by him on December 16, 2006.

According to preliminary forensic investigation it was found that the girl's leg and body were amputated before she died, he said and added that there was some foul play, including attempt of rape was also suspected.

Safiya, daughter of Moidu-Ayesha couple from Ayyangeri, Kodagu district, Karnataka, was brought to Kasargod about three years ago for being engaged in household work through an agent. Hamza (42), a resident of Muliyar Mastikunda in Kasargod district, who was doing civil contract works in Goa, had hired the girl and taken her to Goa. When working at his place, the girl disappeared mysteriously.

Safiya's parents had filed a case of her disappearance in the Adoor police station in December 2006. When the police investigations limped and there was no progress at sight even after a year since the complaint was registered, people lent their support to struggle, organized dharnas and protests resenting the police inaction, in support of Safiya's parents who launched an indefinite dharna. Finally, the government relented and assigned the case to the crime intelligence wing on May 20 this year.

Police had arrested Hamsa on July 2 from Kasargod and claimed he had confessed that he cut Safia into three pieces and buried the body in a polythene bag. Hamsa's wife Mymoona was also arrested subsequently.

He had told the investigating officials that the girl had suffered severe burns while cooking on December 15, 2006 and the accused kept her in a room after applying medicine instead of taking her to hospital. As the girl fell unconscious the next day, he cut her body into pieces to dispose it, suspecting that she died with burns injury.

The girls missing had invited wide-spread public outcry and local youth organisations under the banner ''Saifa Action Committee'' organised protests demanding to locate the missing girl.


Please Wait while comments are loading...