K'TAKA Govt appeals lorry owners to withdraw strike

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bangalore, Jul 1 (UNI) Appealing the transport operators to withdraw their strike, Karnataka Home Minister V S Acharya has assured that suitable measures will be taken to ensure free flow of essential commodities during the nationwide lorry strike called by the National Federation of Truck Operators from midnight tonight.

Speaking to newspersons after meeting the delegation of the State Lorry Operators here today, the Minister expressed confidence that the strike call would be withdrawn.

Mr Acharya said during his meeting the truck operators have agreed to spare those vehicles which supply essential commodities, milk, vegetables and other perishable items.

He said most of the demands made by the truck operators barring one or two, were related to the Centre. Reacting to Karnataka High Court's direction on fixing 'speed governors' to all the transport vehicles, Mr Acharya said the Government would study the High Court judgement and come to a conclusion.

However the State Home Department sources told UNI that strict instructions had been issued to deal with those who were found forcing the truck operators to participate in the strike and block the movement of essential commodities. The jurisdictional police officers were also asked to maintain strict vigil against any attempt on violence.

The Home Department had also issued orders to give protection to those truck operators who wanted to stay away from the nation-wide strike.

UNI MV GKT SY VC2040

Please Wait while comments are loading...