Govt releases 30 lakh ton free sale sugar for July-Sept '08

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Jul 1 (UNI) The government today released 30 lakh tonnes of non-levy (free sale) sugar for the quarter July-September this year.

For July, the quota would be 12 lakh tonnes and for the months of August and September, the quota would be 18 lakh tonnes.

The government has further decided to dismantle the second buffer stock of 30 lakh tonnes created for a period of one year from August 1, 2007 to July 31 this year on its due date as on August 1, 2008, according to an official statement here.

The sugar factories are allowed to sell 25 per cent of the stock kept as buffer out of 30 lakh tonnes in the domestic market in two months of its dismantling from August to September this year and the remaining 75 per cent at any point of time during 2008-09 sugar season commencing from October 1 this year without the requirement of release orders from the Directorate of sugar for either quantity.

The government has already allowed the sugar mills to sell 20 lakh tonnes of sugar held in first buffer stock at any point of time during 2007-08 sugar season from May 1 up to September 30, 2008 without the requirement of release orders from the Directorate of sugar for that quantity.

With these decisions, it is estimated that the total availability of non-levy sugar for sale in the domestic market during July-September, 2008 would be 48 lakh tonnes.

A quantity of 1.94 lakh tonnes has been released under levy sugar for distribution in the Public Distribution System for the month of July, 2008. Thus, the total sugar released in the month of July, 2008 would be sufficient to meet the internal demand for sugar for this month.

UNI BBS SBA RK2013

Please Wait while comments are loading...