Bhubaneswar, Jun 30 (UNI) The Orissa government today announced assistance of Rs two lakh for the next of kin of the Jawans killed in the Naxalite attack on a motor boat in the Chitrakonda reservoir near Alampeka in Malkangiri district yesterday.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told newspersons here that the state government would provide an assistance of Rs two lakh to the kin of any person who might have been killed, from the Chief Minsiter's Relief Fund.
As many as 37 jawans were missing after the Naxalite attack.
Mr Patnaik said the government would also bear the medical expenses of the jawans injured in the attack.
A motor boat, carrying 66 personnel, including Greyhound jawans from Andhra Pradesh and two policemen and two boatmen from Orissa, capsized in the reservoir after the Naxalites, hiding on a hilltop near Alampeka, attacked them with grenades and fired indiscriminately.
The Greyhound personnel were returning from Janabai after completing a combing operation when they were attacked by the left wing ultras.
So far 29 persons, including two boatmen and two police personnel of Orissa, were rescued and search and resuce operation was on to trace the rest.
Moved by the Naxalite attack, the Chief Minister said, ''I deeply condemn the terrible and cowardly act of the Naxalites.'' Mr Patnaik said search and rescue operation was on with the help of Special Operation Group, Police, Greyhound jawans of Andhra Pradesh, CRPF and divers from the Navy.
UNI BD DP DPM RL ND1524