Washington, June 16 : Universal Pictures' 'The Incredible Hulk' starring Edward Norton topped the weekend box office with 54.5 million dollars.
While the opening is about 8 million less than what Ang Lee's 'Hulk' took in at its opening weekend back in 2003, the studio is still enthusiastic that its franchise restart will come out the winner.
The second highest grossing movie over the weekend was the Angelina Jolie, Jack Black voiced animation 'Kung Fu Panda' which took in 34.3 million dollars in its second week.
M. Night Shyamalan's latest horror-thriller, The Happening, was at third place, taking in 30.5 million dollars in its opening weekend - a figure that is a substantial improvement over his 2006 disappointment, Lady in the Water.
Adam Sandler's 'You Don't Mess With the Zohan' came in at the fourth spot with 16.4 million dollars, according to estimates by Exhibitor Relations.
The top five was rounded off by Harrison Ford starrer 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' with 13.5 million dollars.
The list for the top ten highest grossing movies over the weekend is:
1. The Incredible Hulk, USD54.5 million
2. Kung Fu Panda, USD 34.3 million
3. The Happening, USD 30.5 million
4. You Don't Mess With the Zohan, USD 16.4 million
5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, USD 13.5 million
6. Sex and the City, USD 10.2 million
7. Iron Man, USD 5.1 million
8. The Strangers, USD 4.1 million
9. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, USD 3 million
10. What Happens in Vegas, USD 1.7 million