Chidambram reviews farm loan waiver scheme in Punjab, Haryana

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Ambala/Patiala, Jun 6 (UNI) Union Finance Minister P Chidambram today said over 4.30 crore farmers would be benefited to the tune of Rs 71,600 crore as a result of widening of the scope of loan waiver scheme crore and lists of eligible beneficiaries would be prepared by June 20.

The Union Minister, who was interacting with mediapersons in Ambala said that these lists of beneficiaries would be displayed on the notice board of the banks and the Government would ensure that all eligible beneficiaries get the benefit of the scheme. He said that the scheme would be implemented by June 30.

He said that he himself had been visiting banks to see for himself the progress of the work being undertaken to implement the scheme effectively. He said that other senior officers of the Finance Department and Chief Secretaries of the states would also visit banks in this regard. In addition,senior officers of banks have also been asked to inspect bank branches and thereafter, audit officers would also examine the accounts.

This, he said, was his first visit to states of Punjab and Haryana to see the process of implementation of the scheme in banks. The complete profile of the scheme has been made available on the website of the Finance Ministry in different languages.

He said that for the benefit of those having more than five acres of land a scheme of lumpsum payment has been introduced in 237 districts. He said that those having land holdings of upto five acres would get their entire loan waived of whereas those having more than five acres of land would be benefited under the lumpsum waiver scheme.

The farmers of second category would get the benefit of 25 per cent waiver of loans of banks but it would benefit only those who would pay the remaining 75 per cent of the loan within the scheduled period, he added.

When asked whether there was any scheme to benefit those who had been returning loans regularly, he said that the loan waiver was for those who were hard pressed. He was all praise for the hard working farmers of Punjab and Haryana.

MORE UNI HS DB1853

Please Wait while comments are loading...