Hungry mob assaults villagers in drought-hit Bundelkhand

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Mahoba, Jun 3 (UNI) Even as the Uttar Pradesh government announced the free food distribution scheme for drought victims, another case of food robbery was reported in this district of the drought-hit Bundelkhand region last evening.

A hungry mob assaulted Vijay, Munna and Ranjit, when they were heading towards their fields in Mahobkanth area of Kankua village and fled with their lunch, police said today.

Food theft incidents had spiralled in the region being hit by the natural calamity. However, this was reportedly the first case where a mob assaulted villagers for food.

Earlier in December, starving villagers had looted several quintals of cereals from one Ram Aasare Khagar's godown in Ghalora village.

Yesterday's incident was reported to the Sub Divisional magistrate Prajjal Yadav, who said the government had initiated several schemes for free food distribution to the poor.

Stringent action would be taken against those who had not implemented the scheme, he warned.

UNI XC-PDM ATI

Please Wait while comments are loading...