Mumbai, Jun 3 (UNI) Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt was denied a visa to fly to the Bahamas for a film shooting since he had failed to submit documents relating to his conviction in the 1993 serial blasts along with his application.
Dutt had applied for a tourist visa to travel to the Bahamas to shoot for the film ''Blue'', produced by Ashtavinayak Films, according to sources.
However, the producers had failed to attach the documents relating to the 1993 serial blasts case along with Dutt's visa application.
On July 31 last year, the designated court here had convicted Dutt under the Arms Act in the 1993 serial blasts case and sentenced him to six years rigorous imprisonment.
Following his conviction, Dutt had spent nearly a month in Pune's Yerawada Jail but was subsequently granted bail by the Supreme Court on the condition that he would not leave the country without the court's permission. He is also required to present himself before the CBI office once in a month.
Sources said that the producers will again submit the visa application along with the requisite documents.
''Since the visa application has been returned, he can apply again and the producers will submit the requisite papers,'' the sources said.
Dutt's lawyer Farhana Shah pointed out that the actor had visited the US on several occasions in the past. ''Since he was not granted visa this time on some technical grounds, he will file a fresh application with proper documents,'' she said.
According to a senior CBI officer, the granting of visa is solely the concern of the Consulate. Usually, if a person is convicted, getting a US visa becomes difficult, he said.
UNI AAA MAZ RR AS1632