Washington, June 2 : The movie adaptation of the hit TV series 'Sex and the City' has topped the weekend box office with an earning of 55.7 million dollars.
Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Catrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon toppled Harrison Ford flick 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' from the top spot, to become the top-opening romantic comedy of all time.
As per figures compiled by Exhibitor Relations, Ford's flick took in 46 million dollars over the weekend, reports E! Online.
Coming in at third spot was 'The Strangers' starring Liv Tyler, which grossed 20.7 million dollars, with superhero flick 'Iron Man' starring Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow taking fourth spot with an earning of 14 million dollars.
The top five was rounded off by 'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian' which came in fifth place grossing 13 million dollars.
The list for the top ten movies at the box office this weekend is:
1. Sex and the City, USD 55.7 million
2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, USD 46 million
3. The Strangers, USD 20.7 million
4. Iron Man, USD 14 million
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, USD 13 million
6. What Happens in Vegas, USD 6.9 million
7. Baby Mama, USD 2.2 million
8. Speed Racer, USD 2.1 million
9. Made of Honor, USD 2 million
10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, USD 1 million