New Delhi, May 27 (UNI) As IPL Chairman and Commissioner Lalit Modi plans to hold the IPL twice a year from 2011, India opener Virender Sehwag has raised his voice against the idea and said it would not only affect the international schedule but would also result in premature retirements of top players.
''If it becomes a half yearly affair, I think we would see a lot of premature retirements as players would be tempted by the money flowing in the IPL,'' Sehwag told mediapersons here today.
The icon player for Delhi Daredevils believes that even though the IPL has become a big success, still the public prefers Tests and ODIs over the extravagant Twenty20 tournament in India.
''Test and one day cricket still draw a lot of people and they should not be comprimised at the cost of any other form or tournament,'' he said.
Earlier in an interview, Modi had told that for three years IPL will be played annualy while he disclosed his plans to make it a half yearly affair from 2011.
Sehwag was of the view that it would be difficult to accomodate two IPL tournaments annually in the already packed international schedule.
''It would be difficult to manage the IPL twice a year because the international schedule is already so busy and for that they would have to find at least four months to accommodate two IPLs,'' Sehwag opined.
UNI RAR AB US1810