Hunger, a portrayal of the last six weeks of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands' life, won the Camera d'Or award for best first feature film. Benicio Del Toro was awarded best actor for his lead role in Steven Soderbergh's biopic of Cuban revolutionary 'Che Guevara.' The award for best actress went to Brazilian star Sandra Corveloni for playing a pregnant mother of four in Sao Paolo in 'Line of Passage.'
Clint Eastwood and Catherine Deneuve were honoured with the lifetime achievement awards at the French festival's closing ceremony.
The list of winners:
1. Palme d'Or - The Class
2. Grand Prix - Gomorrah
3. Special prizes - Clint Eastwood and Catherine Deneuve
4. Best director - Nuri Bilge Ceylan for Three Monkeys
5. Jury prize - Il Divo directed by Paolo Sorrentino
6. Best actor - Benicio del Toro (above) in Che
7. Best actress - Sandra Corveloni in Line of Passage
8. Best screenplay - Lorna's Silence by Jean Pierre and Luc Dardenne
9. Camera d'Or - Hunger