Kolkata, May 24 (UNI) 'Sundar', a full-grown giraffe of Kolkata zoo, has died of electrocution on way to Nandankanan in Bhubaneswar.
Official sources today said the eleven-year-old male giraffe died last night after all attempts to save its life failed.
According to Mr R K Samantaroy, veterinary surgeon of Nandiankanan zoo, the giraffe was being taken in a trailer to Bhubaneswar on the night of May 22 as part of an exchange programme.
It was electrocuted when its neck, rising high over a roofless cage, touched an overhead electric wire on Bombay road near Bagnan in Howrah district.
The animal, which was being escorted by a seven-member team, was brought back to Kolkata zoo next morning where veterinary doctors battled in vain to save its life.
Describing the incident as an accident, Kolkata Zoo Director Subir Roychowdhury said there was no dereliction of duty on anybody's part for the death of the giraffe.
UNI KDG SJC SB RN2108