Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh, May 24 (UNI) Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Ramn Singh today said two CRPF companies have been withdrawn in connection with the firing incident in which a woman and a child were killed and three others injured at Cherpal in Bijapur district in the early hours yesterday.
Dr Singh, who was on his 'Vikas Yatra', told reporters here that the two CRPF companies had been withdrawn with immediate effect and criminal cases registered against guilty jawans.
Assuring that such incidents would not recur, he said strict action would be taken against those violating human rights.
An ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each was provided to the family members of the deceased, while injured were given compensation of Rs 10,000 each.
Salwa Judum leaders had alleged that jawans opened fire when their attempts to molest women was opposed.
Meanwhile, police claimed that jawans reached the relief camp following a tip-off about the presence of naxals. Jawans opened fire when some people attempted to escape from there. A magisterial inquiry had been ordered into the incident.
UNI XC-PS SY GC1703