Chennai, May 21 (UNI) The mortal remains of two victims of the Iraq bomb blast on May eight last were brought to the city today.
Airport sources said the bodies of Ramesh Kumar (30) of Thirukuvalai in Nagapattinam district and G Senthil (28) of Mambakkam in adjoining Kancheepuram district were brought to the city in an Indian flight from Kuwait, following steps taken by the Centre.
Tamil Nadu State Protocol Office PRO Hariharan received the bodies and handed them over to Thirukuvalai Tahsildar Ilahi Basha and Chengalpattu Tahsildar Thangapandian. The bodies were then taken to their native place in ambulance and handed over to their parents.
Mr Thangapandian placed a wreath on the body of Senthil on behalf of the Tamil Nadu Government and handed over a cheque for Rs one lakh, announced by the State Government.
Ramesh Kumar's uncle Sivamani, who had come to the airport to receive the body, said Ramesh was employed as a driver in Kuwait by a private company. However, the company then sent him to Iraq against his consent.
Ramesh had said 80 more Tamils were languishing in the strife-torn country, and had urged the Union and State Governments to take action to save the others.
Ramesh's wedding had been fixed and he was to arrive here on June ten.
Senthil's brother Balu, who was also present, said he was an ITI-graduate, employed in Kuwait and was forcefully sent to Iraq by his employer. He demanded that the Government take action to get adequate compensation from the company.
While the mortal remains of Senthil were cremated this evening, the body of Ramesh would be laid to rest tomorrow at his native village.
UNI XR RSA DB1835