Melbourne, May 19 : Sir Paul McCartney has been asked by animal rights activists for monetary aid, to help relocate hundreds of kangaroos fated for culling in Canberra.
The activists have revealed that they contacted the 65-year-old former Beatle, a member of British animal rights group Viva!, which is protesting against the planned cull of more than 400 kangaroos on Defence Department land.
The contractors of the Defence Department have decided to cull the animals in response to the Federal Government's refusal to grant the estimated 3.5 million dollars for relocating them.
However, the activists have countered the move by saying that the relocating costs would not be more than 750,000 dollars.
According to National Kangaroo Protection Coalition spokesman Pat O'Brien, they have already made "efforts" to get in touch with the former Beatle and many more people, asking for a contribution to the cost.
"We have had a lot of offers of donations. Defence says cost is an issue, but experts have told us that it could cost as little as 750,000 dollars," News.com.au quoted O'Brien, as telling AAP.
But, they have not yet received any answer from Viva! or McCartney regarding the issue in question. And O'Brien has indicated that right now the group's main focus was to stop the cull.
"And we are prepared to take drastic measures to do that," he said.
In a report to the ACT Government, which was made public earlier this year, it was suggested that the cull should go ahead without delay in order to protect lowland native grasslands and threatened species. Also, it said that relocating the kangaroos would be inhumane.
it sis believed that the cull will be carried out in the next few weeks, with the animals tranquillised with darts and killed with a lethal drug.