Pathanamthitta, May 17 (UNI) Kerala Electricity Minister A K Balan today said the government would take a decision on further inquiry into yesterday's Moozhiyar powerhouse explosion, which claimed two lives, only after the Kerala State Electricty Board (KSEB) expert team submitted its report.
Talking to newspersons at Moozhiyar, the Minister, who visited the powerhouse, said the KSEB had already started preliminary investigation into the incident.
The expert team would reach Moozhiyar on Monday to find out the exact cause of the explosion. On the basis of its report, the government would decide on further inquiry, he added.
KSEB Chairman Rajeev Sadanandan, members Johnson Jacob and K Asokan, Chief Engineers K Radhakrishnan, A Balachandran and Annamma John and Raju Abraham, MLA, accompanied the Minister.
Mr Balan said it was the turbine shaft of the No 4 generator that exploded. The generator with the capacity of 55 MW was running in full flow, when the accident occurred. Its renovation had been carried out by Austrian Company V A TECH one year ago and the explosiion happened during the guarantee period.
He assured compensation to the families of assistant engineer Shibu Philip and contract worker Anilkumar, who were killed in the explosion.
The Minister said there would be no load shedding on account of the Moozhiyar accident, though there was a daily reduction of 275 MW in power generation. At the time of the accident, four generators were functioning in full swing, producing a total of 225 MW.
Following the explosion, all four generators were shut down. As a result, the 50 MW Kakkad Hydel Project also came to a standstill.
He said an emergency supply from Central pool had been requisitioned to meet the peak hour demand. Private thermal units would be approached, if needed, he added.
UNI XR SJ HS RN1940