Tight security in place for second and third polls: DGP

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Hubli, May 15 (UNI) Director General of Police R Sri Kumar today asserted that maximum precautionary measures had been taken in view of bomb blast in a court hall in this city and a call given by naxalites of CPI(Maoist) group for boycott of polls for smooth conduct of free and fair polling in the second and third places.

A bomb planted underneath the witness box had ripped through a court hall in the city court complex last week. The naxals who have presence in the borders of Udupi, Shimoga and Chikmagalur districts have given repeated calls to the people in the villages coming under Westren ghats to boycott elections.

Speaking to reporters after visiting the blast site at court complex and holding meeting of senior police officials, he said 225 companies of central para military force and local police including Anti Naxal Force would be deployed during the elections.

In the second phase, in which polling will be held in 66 segments across ten districts on May 16, a total of 56,000 police personnel will be deployed.

This included 21,000 civil police, 10,000 home guards, 22,000 para military forces and 3000 KSRP personnel, he said.

The official expressed satisfaction over peaceful completion of first phase of election and hoped tomorrow's second phase and third phase to be held on May 22 would also pass off peacefully.

On the investigation of Hubli blast case, he said he had visited the spot and also studied the expert opinion on the evidence available at the spot. "We will come out with details after completion of the investigation, which would be on the lines of Crime to Criminal", he said.

MORE UNI MNP RS GM1623

Please Wait while comments are loading...