Karnal (Haryana), May 9 : Leakage of some poisonous gas from a chimney of an iron foundry in Karnal district in Haryana claimed three lives on Friday.
Eyewitnesses said that four labourers had gone to stop the leakage of the gas from the chimney but three of them fell into the chimney and died on the spot.
"There was gas leak in the chimney, three people who had gone there to open the water pipe inhaled the poisonous gas from the chimney," said Ved Prakash, a labourer.
Local police confirmed that the labourers were killed due to excessive intake of poisonous gas.
"The deaths happened due to excessive intake of gas," said Ashok, Station House Officer, Karnal.
According to official sources, the cause of the nature of the poisonous gas and the cause of leakage is being ascertained.
Reportedly, one of the four labourers who fell unconscious due to inhaling the poisonous gas was rushed to a local hospital and is now recovering.