New Delhi, May 9 (UNI) The National Human Rights Commission has sought comments from the West Bengal Chief Secretary on its 12-point recommendations on Nandigram violence, including payment of ex-gratia to families of people killed.
The recommendations were given by a three-member committee of the Commission, which visited Nandigram on April 3 and 4, and held discussions with victims and several officials, including District Magistrate East Midnapore.
The Committee was appointed on February 8 to suggest compensation for the damage and to ensure that the monetary relief reached genuine people.
The Committee was constituted after an inquiry team of the Commission submitted a report following its visit to the violence-hit areas.
The recommendations are : * Giving instructions to the State Government to publish complete list of people whose houses were damaged in the incidents from March 14 to November 2007 related to SEZ issue in Nandigram area giving details like address, nature of construction ex-gratia amount paid or proposed to be paid.
* List of applications received so far in this regard and status there of be published.
* The above list be published in at least two local Bengali papers having wide circulation in the area.
* A date be indicated in the publication by which time anyone who likes to make an application or submits a representation can do so.
Three weeks or one month's time from the date of publication in the newspapers is considered reasonable for receipt of applications.
Receipt should be given to the individuals making application.
* The lists be displayed on the notice boards in Gram Panchayat and Block offices and copies given to the district level representatives of all recognized political parties in the State.
Copies be given to representatives of Bhoomi Uchhed Pratirodh Committee (BUPC) also. Receipts must be obtained.
* All fresh applications or representations must be duly inquired into and decision taken subject to confirmation by NHRC.
* Damaged houses/shops, Following amounts of ex-gratia: Pucca houses Rs 20,000 for fully damaged and Rs 10,000 for partially damaged. Kutcha houses Rs 12,000 for fully damaged and Rs 6,000 partially damaged. Shops at the same rate as kutcha houses.
* On the lines of ex-gratia to the next of kin (NOK) of the persons who died in incidents of March 14, 2007, payment be made to the NOK of those who died in other incidents related to the issue.
* State Government should immediately take a decision about payment of ex-gratia amount to injured persons and inform the Commission.
* The information sought in the letter of Secretary General dated February 8, 2008, be furnished immediately.
* SP, East Midnapore should ensure that appropriate action is taken on all the complaints received at the police stations in the District. If the allegations made in the complaint disclose cognizable offence, the provisions of Section 154 Cr. P.C.
should be complied with.
* All persons who have been arrested in connection with police cases regarding incidents of clashes and riots should be provided legal aid, if required.
UNI NR PK DB2002