Ramnagar (Uttarakhand), May 9 : A 15-year old elephant in Uttarakhand has got electrocuted after it dashed against a high-tension electric wire.
The forest officials said that they were informed about the electrocution of the elephant on Thursday.
" The elephant had come to drink water from this water hole. The height of this high tension wire is 2m 40 cms, so when it was passing, it dashed against the wire and got electrocuted," said P.K. Patro, Divisional Forest Officer (DFO), Ramnagar.
The officials said that they had called upon the electricity department in the region earlier also to look into the matter and remove the wires that are lying low.
Villagers say even they had apprised the authorities that animals have been falling prey to these deadly wires and had urged them to take action.
They alleged that the apathy of the electricity department has resulted in yet another animal losing its life.
Experts say that wild elephants have been moving out of the jungles with people encroaching upon animal corridors, leading to clashes between elephants and villagers.