New Delhi, May 4 : The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) vice president Lalit Modi on Sunday said that Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, who is facing a five year ban by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for violating the players' code of conduct, can take part in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
The appellate tribunal of the PCB today decided to suspend the five-year ban on him for a month. The IPL authorities had refused to allow the fast bowler to play in the league despite the tribunal's decision earlier this week to allow him play outside Pakistan while retaining the ban on him. Abid Minto, one of Shoaib's lawyers, has asked the tribunal to start the hearing, which was deferred till June, and suspend the five-year ban so that the bowler can play in the IPL.
On Saturday, Shoaib said that the tribunal should suspend the ban temporarily as it would take time to come to a final decision in the case, by which the IPL would be over.
The tribunal had earlier upheld the five-year ban on Shoaib on charges that he had committed acts of indiscipline.
Shoaib was signed up by the Kolkata Knight Riders for 425,000 dollars, but was barred from playing the tournament "in the interests of international discipline."