Lahore, May 2 (UNI) After the rejection of Shoaib Akhtar's appeal against a five-year ban by appellate tribunal, the Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Nasim Ashraf today slapped a Rs 220 million defamation suit against the controversial fast bowler.
The defamation suit has been filed against Shoaib for making allegations that the PCB Chairman had demanded money from him and other players for allowing them to sign contracts with the Indian Premier League.
The legal counsel for Ashraf, Tafazzul Rizvi, filed the suit in a civil court headed by Judge Hina Muzaffar here. The hearing in the case will begin tomorrow.
After filing the defamation suit Rizvi said, it was a natural process of law.
''As you are aware that we had already served a legal notice on behalf of Chairman PCB on Shoaib Akhtar for the defamation and defamatory statements he made on TV against the Chairman,'' Rizvi said.
''Since we had never sent a legal notice ... There is a mandatory period of 14 days which had already lapsed ... therefore we approached the Civil Court and filed a suit for damages for defamation caused to the PCB Chairman,'' he explained.
However, Rizvi said, the defamation lawsuit would not affect the official stance of the board that Shoaib could play in the IPL.
''Our stand remains clear we have no objection to him playing outside Pakistan,'' he added.
Despite Akhtar's appeal against a five-year ban was rejected by appellate tribunal, they had allowed Shoaib to play anywhere outside Pakistan.
UNI XC RKM RAR BD1755