New Delhi, Apr 26 : India and Bahrain on Saturday finalized a draft memorandum of understanding (MOU) on the labour mobility and manpower development between the two countries.
This was done following a two- day negotiation between the Indian delegation led by Union Minister of Indian Overseas Vayalar Ravi and Behrain delegation led by Bahrain Minister of Labour Majeed Bin Al Alawi.
The proposed MoU will provide an institutional framework for strengthening bilateral cooperation in the deployment of Indian workers in Bahrain and covers a wide range of activities to make labour mobility simple transparent and efficient.
This will also benefit both the countries apart from the workers and the employers. The salient features of the proposed MoU are:
- Facilitation of manpower recruitment and mutual sharing of information and experience
- Recruitment to be in conformity with the laws of both countries
Protection of the labour law to all categories of workers
- Terms and conditions of employment contract to be in conformity with the work permit
- All contracts to be authenticated by Bahraini Govt.
- A Joint Committee consisting of three members from each country shall be responsible for the implementation of the MOU
The MOU is expected to be signed by the Ministers of both countries shortly after obtaining necessary approvals from the respective governments.
There are about 50,000 expatriate HSWs in Bahrain, of which about 20,000 are Indians.