The NSAB is a multi-disciplinary body comprising persons from outside Government to provide long-term analysis to the National Security Council and recommending solutions and policy options to the issues raised by them.
The seven new members of the reconstituted 23-member board are:
1. K.S. Bajpai, IFS (retired) - Chairman Former Secretary, MEA, former Ambassador to China and the USA. Currently Chairman Delhi Policy Group is an independent thinktank.
2. Shyamala B. Cowsik, IFS (retired)
3 Tarun Das, Chief Mentor
4 H.K. Dua, Editor-in-Chief, The Tribune.
5. Prodipto Ghosh, IAS (retired) Former Secretary
6. Sudha Mahalingam, Member (Distribution), Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board
7. Vice Admiral (retired) K.K. Nayyar, Chairman, National Maritime Foundation.
The other existing members are:
1. Professor Alka Acharya, JNU (Expert on China)
2. N. Balakrishnan, Associate Director, Indian Institute of Science
3. P.M. Bhargava, former Vice-Chairman, National Knowledge Commission Founder
4. Vice Admiral (retired) P.S. Das
5. Rakesh Datta, Professor and Head, Department of Defence Studies, Punjab University
6. A.S. Dulat, former Secretary (retired)
7. V.K. Grover, Indian Foreign Services (retired) Former Secretary, MEA.
8. Wasbir Hussain, Political Analyst and Associate Fellow, Institute for Conflict Management
9. Air Chief Marshal (retired) S. Krishnaswami
10. Rajiv Kumar, Director, Indian Council for Research in International Economic Relations (ICRIER)
11. K. Raghunath, former Foreign Secretary
12. K.V. Rajan, IFS (retired) Former Ambassador to Nepal and Secretary, MEA.
13. N. Ravi, Editor, The Hindu
14. General. (retired) V.N. Sharma
15. M.R. Srinivasan, former Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission
16. S.P. Talukdar, former Commissioner, Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS)