New Delhi, Apr 2 (UNI) Delhi Minister for Public works Department Raj Kumar Chauhan today said strictest punishment would be meted out to those responsible for the March 29 building collapse in Brahmpuri area near Seelampur in East Delhi.
Replying to a statement made by Congress MLA Bheesham Sharma in the Delhi Legislative Assembly under Rule 280, Mr Chauhan said an inquiry had been instituted by the Lt Governor in the incident, which is being headed by Deputy Commissioner (revenue).
The inquiry committee has been asked to submit its report within seven days and action would be taken against those found guilty in the probe.
He said the Municipal Corporation of Delhi had already suspended four officials in this connection including the DC of the area A K Singh and a Junior Engineer.
Earlier, raising the issue, Mr Bheesham Sharma alleged inaction on the part of the authorities in dealing with the unauthorised construction on the building.
He alleged that the court commissioners had visited the site three times but still no action was taken against the unauthorised construction.
Mr Chauhan said the owners of the building had been issued notice on November 7 last year for stopping construction on the building.
Subsequently, on January 7, a show cause notice was sent for the demolition of the building. The demolition was to be done on January 23 but could not be carried out for lack of availability of the required police force.
A total of nine persons, including two children died in the collapse while 14 others were seriously injured.
Mr Chauhan said a compensation of Rs two lakh had been announced for families of each of the the adults killed in the collapse while Rs 50000 was announced for families of each of the children who died in the incident.
A compensation of Rs 20000 was announced for each of those seriously injured while those who sustained minor injuries will be given Rs 1000 each.
UNI AR LS DB1834